Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Take off the Labels and Just Dance.

Understanding the foundation of dance styles is important to me as a mover, but having your own voice is just as important to me as being an artist. Labeling is important for a certain level of understanding, but it doesn't inspire growth and innovation as far as I can see. I realized that the "labeling" makes it harder for us to see the similarities in things, dance styles namely, and we get stuck in feeling like we're in different worlds. "I'm doing this and your doing that." On a very fundamental level, we are all dancing, creating, performing, learning, and teaching. Labeling not only gives something a name, but it sets up the idea that this something can only be done one way. Labeling is appropriate when it comes to differentiating, but serves no purpose in creativity.  It stifles our creative capacity to be innovative, to share, and to exchange between one style and another. There is no growth without exchange. (Ex)Change is what makes tomorrow. So lets talk.
-A section from my independent study-

1 comment: